Tuesday, March 10, 2015

These Are Not Gray Pants


Ten years ago, you could not have paid me to step foot into Gap or Old Navy to actually shop for anything. I went in occasionally with my family or friends, but I just wasn't interested in what they had to offer - everything seemed to be branded with logos, and I am a staunch believer in not giving a company my money in order to be a walking billboard for them. If I'm going to advertise a company by blaring their logo across my clothing, they had best be paying me for the privilege.

Well, I still feel that way.

Somewhere along the way, though, my passionate hatred of Gap and Old Navy faded and was replaced by me finding the occasional things I really like about them.

It's a pretty recent development - this post here over on the personal blog was the first time I had worn a Gap shirt in a very, very long time. And I've been adding Old Navy jeans to my closet here and there for a while as well. Then, I had a baby, and discovered the BabyGap is one of the few places that sells a decent amount of non-pink clothing for girls.

Gap, and Old Navy both have a serious length problem - I can tell they're mostly selling to teenagers and skinny college girls, because they just crank out the cropped tops like an assembly line on cocaine. Shirts are never long enough, and if they are, they're poor quality material that shrinks after one wash. Old Navy's exception to this rule is in their tank tops and camis, which I find hilarious - why would you make a tank clearly meant to be worn under your other shirts longer than the shirts it's meant to be worn with?

I'm obviously not the business genius that those running Gap and Old Navy are.

In any case, the tops just aren't long enough, on average, which means that when I do shop there I primarily shop online, allowing me to troll the 'tall' section to see if they have anything I like in a length that won't have me flashing belly every time I have to grab something off a shelf.

This stripe-sleeved top did the trick.



I won't lie - I mostly ordered this shirt in order to get to Gap's $50 limit to get free shipping. I had ordered a couple of things for the baby, and I hate paying for shipping if I don't have to. At worse, I throw something I'm not sure about in the cart and then return it later, right?

I figured this would be one of those shirts. The high boatneck and flat color on the body could easily make me look like a mack truck coming and going. I gave it a shot anyway, just to see.

Turns out, I love it.

I love the slightly faded darker blue color and that the shirt ends up emphasizing that my waist is narrow when compared to my hips, instead of flattening me out like I thought it would. I love that ordering it in the tall means the sleeves go past my hands and the hem is below my hips.

My only issue is that the thin cotton, while soft, is not terribly forgiving on a stomach that is still showing the after-effects of baby-havin'.

Ah well.

I love it anyway.


These are not gray pants.

But Katie! I hear you saying. They are clearly charcoal gray!

Nope.

When I bought them? They were flat black. I bought this pair because I wanted (and still want) black jeans, and couldn't find any at the time that weren't skinnies that were nothing less than terribly uncomfortable. Old Navy had these pants on offer - not jeans, but comfortable and a dressy black appropriate for a business casual workplace like the museum I used to work at.

Then I washed them twice, and now they're charcoal gray.

I keep wearing them because I just like them that much, but would still like a pair of inexpensive black jeans, NOT skinny jeans, to wear with shirts like this. Do you guys have any advice on that? They need to go into the lower plus-sizes.

I can't say I didn't get my money's worth, though, since I bought them on sale three years ago and I'm still wearing them pretty consistently.

I just wish they had stayed black longer than two months.


This necklace is a Christmas gift from my mother-in-law, kind of in honor of having had Audra last year. I wear it all the time. It's pretty funny, because I tend to buy large, clunky, insanely colorful necklaces but I love simple things like that that you can wear with anything and everything.

I have this, and a pretty starfish necklace (seen in the earlier link to the Gap T-shirt post from the other blog), and those are my two simplest wear-with-anything pieces of jewelry.

Well.

Um.

Other than my, uh, wedding band.



Outfit Details
Striped boatneck tee - Gap, available here.
Black pants - Old Navy, similar here
Shoes - Skechers at JCPenney, similar here
Necklace - Christmas gift from my mother-in-law





P.S. Please forgive the wonky lighting/focus issues. It's super gray, rainy, and dreary here today and I really did the best I could with what 5:45 pm light could offer me.






P.P.S. Today on the personal blog? I tell you a little story about my drive to work on Monday, and it's at least a little bit funny if I do say so myself. Check it out!

6 comments:

  1. Two things -

    If you love this top, order a couple more. :) I have been known to buy 10 of an item I love and put 8 of them away for the future.

    Re black jeans, I have two suggestions. Not Your Daughters Jeans I have consistently found to be awesome and they do a lot of different cuts. I am from Australia and here these retail for $150 upwards - when I visited Hawaii I have seen them at Nordstrom or Macys on Oahu for just over $100, and I bought several pairs from Ross Dress for Less for $35 or less.

    They are amazing and I have washed them probably 100 times and they are still the same shade of black as when I first bought them. I like the Marilyn boot cut but there are so many different options to choose from. I do recommend to try them on before you buy, however once you know your size in this brand you can skip the trying on, at least I have been able to. :) You can see all the range at nydj dot com.

    I have also bought Gloria Vanderbilt jeans from Costco. They are usually around the $20 mark or so. There is not the same large range as NYDJ nor are they as high quality however the jeans are decent and serviceable.

    The one caveat I have to add - I have a front load washing machine and a condenser dryer which does add a lot of life to my clothes. If you buy a pair of NYDJ and the colour washes out within weeks, then it might be your washing machine that is causing that to happen. Top loaders are very tough on clothes in general and if you have one of those then you are - sadly - more likely to experience these kinds of issues not just with jeans but with clothes in general.

    BTW love your blog. :) I've added you to my feed reader in case I didn't already leave a comment which mentioned that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm exciting to hear you're enjoying seeing the mess unfolding here, haha

      I have a top loading machine and I am so over it. Sometimes my clothing gets weird dark spots in it and I end up having to run the washer two or three times to get them out. It's a very, very old washer/dryer set and it really needs replaced, but it's hard to convince myself to do it when the old ones are still working! Even if only just.

      I see a lot of ads for Not Your Daughter's Jeans. What's the rise like on them? I have a super long torso, an djeans that are low rise can feel like they're falling off whenever I stand up, haha

      Delete
  2. I never buy jeans that would show my butt crack. They are old school sit at your waist style. :) Plus they are stretchy in an interesting way. I'd say head to Macys or Nordstrom and try a few pairs on but I am pretty sure they will be awesome fit wise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There IS a Macy's in the mall. I don't think we have a Nordstrom anywhere closer than maybe Atlanta or Charlotte. I'll have to check it out!

      Delete
  3. I think they're just behind the times on the long cami thing. That was cool in 2004. Also, Gap is having a hard time keeping customers, according to this article I read and found really fascinating: http://www.fastcompany.com/3042434/gapquest?curator=FashionREDEF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That WAS a really cool read. Thanks, Leah!

      I think Gap is definitely flailing around too hard trying to hit that sort of weird "so hideously ugly everyone wears it ironically" spot that J. Crew hit a few years ago. but then J. Crew has ALSO had some issues - these are two huge brands, known for their quality basics, who just decided to say 'screw that' to making quality basics, started making flimsy trendy crap, and then can't figur eout where the loyal customers went. Well...

      Delete

Got something to say? Say it! Unless it's spam, just a link back to your own blog, or pointlessly mean, it'll stay up! Comments make the world go round!