Saturday, February 14, 2015

Work Outfits: The Uniform

loft striped tee mustard cardigan geode necklace

I decided to start things off with what is basically the best example of my usual work outfit; jeans, tee, cardigan. This is my final day at this workplace, so I wanted to be very comfortable (you don't want to be both counting down minutes and also have tight jeans digging into your stomach, right?) but I said in my introductory post that if I wore it on a post day, you were gonna see it, so I kiiiiinda didn't want to start off super lazy right off the bat.

Seems like the wrong mood to set, you know?

Let's keep the yoga pants for an actual weekend day.

...

I'd like to take a moment, if no one minds, and quietly do a celebration dance as I realize this is my last day to work on Saturday. In my entire career history, it has never been a given that I could have Saturday off and for the last three years, it was a given that I wouldn't; any Saturday I managed to finagle was a beg, borrow, or steal situation. So I need this moment to sort of beam good Joining the Weekend World vibes out into the universe.

...

There. That feels better.

mustard cardigan target

Yes, there will be bad bathroom selfies until I get my actual camera set up on a tripod and find a good lighting spot. Look, it's winter! It's cold and dark when I get dressed in the morning and the sun is mostly down by the time I get home! I am seriously not the kind of person who is going to take outfit photos while freezing my fingers off.

The cardigan here is a staple of mine - Target's Boyfriend Cardigan. I've even posted almost this exact same outfit when I was doing style posts over on my personal blog. I have them in about four colors - white, red, this mustard color, and navy. The upside is that they're insanely cheap. The downside is that they're cheap for a reason - the fit and the seams are all wonky, creating lumps where none exist. I mean, don't get me wrong, I have lots of lumps, but they're... really not where the photo would lead you to believe. The buttons are sewn on funny as well, leading them to look like they're pulling even when they're fitting perfectly or, in some cases, a little loose. They fade in the wash spectacularly quickly. They're basically see-through, so when worn over a striped tee-shirt like the one above, you can see the stripes right through the yellow in person.

One of my goals for this coming fall is to upgrade my cardigan collection. I want the same basic colors - red, white, mustard yellow, brick red/pumpkin orange/copper, and navy, but I'd like them to be thicker, better quality, and warmer.

Any brands you turn to for cardigans that fit that bill?

I have black and gray cardigans in this style from Lands End that I wear a lot - Lands End will show up a lot here - but I'd like an option that has this same kind of length as the boyfriend cardigan, and the Lands End cardigans are quite a bit shorter.

(By the way, this is a rant I have coming up, about how everything for women assumes we have the torsoes of small children why is that)

Did I just say cardigan too much?

Has the word lost all meaning?

privo by clarks shoes

I wear these shoes all. the. time.

They're Privo brand, which I don't think exists really anymore, a subsidiary of Clarks.  I bought these suckers probably seven or eight years ago. We used to live in southern Illinois and two of our friends lived just over the border in Missouri. One of them ran a shoe store and he sold this Privo brand and I fell in absolute head-over-heels love.

I had black shoes very similar to these as well that I bought during that time, but I finally wore the inside of the sole out completely and had to throw them out. These brown shoes have held together admirably, but you can see the finish starting to wear off on the fronts.

So another goal for this year is to replace my go-to brown flats. I need a darker brown color, something I can wear every day.

loft striped tee mustard cardigan target

One more goal for the next year or so is to invest in more striped shirts, basic workhorses like this one from Loft. I wear this shirt all the time, and it's incredibly easy to dress up or down. I don't like flat black-and-white stripes on myself very much, but softer grays like this always seem to be cute.

I should make a list of these goals so I can keep track of them, huh? Since I need to add - find jeans that fit my legs better to that list as well. I buy pretty cheap jeans, just because in the last year or so my weight has changed a lot depending on what I'm doing. I went on a walking-and-eating-right kick and lost about 20 pounds, then got pregnant and, um, that progress is all gone now. I'm hoping to get back into being healthier this year, which... might lead my jeans size to change once again. So I've been buying Old Navy primarily, whatever's cheap. But I'd like to get into a size I'm a. comfortable staying at, and b. able to buy jeans that are less stretched-like-woah after 20 minutes of wear. Something shouldn't go from comfortable to nearly-falling-down in less than an hour of sitting and standing, you know?

mustard cardigan striped tee

Oh, and the headband is... well, remember one of my rules from my introductory post is "The hair does what it wants". Well, sometimes I'm very stupid and sleep on it instead of taking a shower in the morning like I should. On those days, I wear a headband to keep it in check. If I don't... strange things happen. Strange things indeed.

Cardigan: Target, here. The yellow isn't available, but it tends to come back every fall in some form.
Striped Boatneck Tee: Loft, but currently only available in black/white and gray/purple. Gift from my husband's family.
Jeans: Old Navy, here.
Shoes: Privo by Clarks, similar 'dressy or casual' brown flat here.
Socks: SmartWool. Always.
Necklace: Bought from the gift shop I ran here. Similar here on etsy.
Green Infinity Scarf: Christmas gift from my husband's family.

So this is kind of the introduction after the introduction, so to speak. An idea of what I'm probably wearing if I'm at work that day. This is actually a little more subdued than I normally am - I'm someone who basically loves colors and I do in fact own rainbow striped shoes. So we'll see where things go. I'm going to put together a list of goals, and maybe working on this blog, and looking at myself so honestly, will lead me to work harder on figuring fit and style out in a way to better suit my frame. My jeans are too baggy in the legs, I need better cardigans, and, um, not to sleep on my hair like that.

Welp.

Here we go, kids. Let's figure my clothing out together!

6 comments:

  1. I think I have the same cardigan in grey & white stripes... Glad it's not just me noticing the weird button thing!

    Idk if it's just a local or CO thing but if you have a store called Rainbow there, they are wonderful for basic T's in solids and stripes, surpringly nice & durable for around $5 each

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm I haven't heard of Rainbow so I don't think it's around here. I kind of want it to be, though, those prices are insane.

      Target's clothing stuff is just... so close and yet so far. Cardigans in a million wonderful rainbow colors - but horrible weird pully button things. Longer length the way I need it to be - but nearly see-through and the seams are wonky. Boo.

      Delete
  2. I have that necklace! I have no idea where I bought it...sometime around age 12... (I still wear it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're kind of all over the place at kid-friendly stores, I think - any place where you can fill a bag with tumbled gemstones for $5, you'll find a necklace like this.

      Delete
  3. The way you write (well, in these first 2 posts) is so refreshing compared to usual style-blog content! I love the honesty! I'm struggling to find somewhere to take my boring outfit photos right now too, since my apartment is constantly bathed in the worst yellow-tinged light all day, every day skldjlaks

    Anyway, cheers on the new blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we should start the Yellow Ceiling Light Club, and just start a blog linkup of people who can't afford professional photographers or DSLRs abd just take photos where they can, haha

      Delete

Got something to say? Say it! Unless it's spam, just a link back to your own blog, or pointlessly mean, it'll stay up! Comments make the world go round!